Network Security, Autumn 2023

Basic Course Information
Course Code 263-4640-00L
Language English
Lecturers Prof. Dr. Adrian Perrig [AP]
Dr. Stefan Frei [SF]
Prof. Dr. Kenny Paterson [KP]
Dr. Piet De Vaere[PV]
Teaching Assistants Seyedali Tabaeiaghdaei [ST] — Head TA
Elham Ehsani Moghadam [EE] — Project TA
Matteo Scarlata [MS] — Exercise TA
Marc Wyss [MW] — Project co-TA
Jihye Kim [JK] — Exercise co-TA
Student Assistants Daniele Del Giudice [DD] — Project SA
Theodor Moroianu [TM] — Exercise SA
Alessandro Giaconia [AG] — Exercise SA
Contact Please do not send emails to our personal email addresses. Instead, use the following points of contact (besides in-person question during lectures and exercise sessions):
Online Teaching In principle all teaching will be in person. However, recordings will be made available, and no attendance (besides at the exam) is required to pass this course.
Lectures See here.
Guest Talks and Exercise Sessions See here.
Exam Written exam. Date to be determined
Project The course includes two graded coding projects. These need to be completed individually and will make up 25 % of the final grade.
More will be provided in the lectures.
Grading You must pass the exam to get credit points.
The exam determines 75 % of the final grade. The remaining 25 % comes from the coding projects.
Course Catalogue Entry 263-4640-00L Network Security
Course Slides/Readers (Git) Course materials will be distributed via GitLab. We will also use GitLab Issues for questions, discussions, and more.
You should automatically be granted access to the relevant GitLab projects no later than (i) four hours after registering for the course on myStudies, or (ii) one hour after logging in to the D-INFK GitLab instance for the first time, whichever is later. If this is not the case, you should contact the course team.
Lecture Recordings Recordings will be available on the ETH video portal the day after the lecture or exercise class. General information related to lecture recording is available here.
Course News
02.07.2023 The website for the Network Security course is online.
Subject to change.
week 38 Lecture 19.09.2023 Course introduction [AP]
Crypto refresher [KP]
Exercise 21.09.2023 Networking refresher[PV]
week 39 Lecture 26.09.2023 TLS [KP]
Exercise 28.09.2023 Introduction to Project 1: ACME Client [EE]
Discussion exercise sheet
week 40 Lecture 03.10.2023 TLS (continued) [KP]
Exercise 05.10.2023 Guest: Candid Wuest, Acronis, "Current state of malware analysis and limits of protection methods"
Discussion exercise sheet
week 41 Lecture 10.10.2023 PKI systems [PV]
Exercise 12.10.2023 Guest: Alberto Sonnio, Mysten Labs, "How to build consensus-less blockchains"
Discussion exercise sheet
week 42 Lecture 17.10.2023 VPNs (IPsec, WireGuard) [PV]
Exercise 19.10.2023 Guest: David McLaughlin, ETH IT-Services, "Mail filtering"
Project QA hour
week 43 Lecture 24.10.2023 Anonymous-communication systems [PV]
Exercise 26.10.2023 Guest: Manuel Sousa, Google, "Red vs Blue Team at Google"
Discussion exercise sheet
week 44 Lecture 31.10.2023 Anonymous-communication systems (continued) [PV]
BGP security, BGPsec, best practices [PV]
Exercise 02.11.2023 Introduction to Project 2: Defend the Flag [EE]
Discussion exercise sheet
week 45 Lecture 07.11.2023 BGP security (continued) [PV]
Exercise 09.11.2023 Guest: Patrick Schmid, Redguard
Discussion exercise sheet
Project 10.11.2023 Deadline Project 1 (23:59)
week 46 Lecture 14.11.2023 Firewalls, IDS, evasion and limitations [SF]
Exercise 16.11.2023 Guest: Brian Trammell, Google
Discussion exercise sheet
week 47 Lecture 21.11.2023 Attack Infrastructures, Botnets, Internet of Things (IoT) [SF]
Exercise 23.11.2023 Discussion exercise sheet
Project QA hour
week 48 Lecture 28.11.2023 DNS security and privacy [SF]
Exercise 30.11.2023 Discussion exercise sheet
Question hour
week 49 Lecture 05.12.2023 (D)DoS attacks and defence mechanisms [AP]
Exercise 07.12.2023 Guest: Nico Schottelius, Ungleich, "IPv6 (in-)security, a practical guide"
Discussion exercise sheet
week 50 Lecture 12.12.2023 (D)DoS attacks and defence mechanisms (continued) [AP]
Exercise 14.12.2023 Discussion exercise sheet
Question hour
Project 15.12.2023 Deadline Project 2 (23:59)
week 51 Lecture 19.12.2023 Next-generation Internet (SCION) [AP]
Exercise 21.12.2023 Discussion exercise sheet